So far we've tried:
- Watching Match of the Day - I watched; she slept (both times)
- Reading books together - I read; she's either slept or fallen asleep
- Going to the shops just the two of us - I paid (better get used to that); she slept
- Tummy time - I tried to sleep but was scared stiff she'd fall off; she slept
Obviously there is a common theme here, but I like to think that my soporific effect is a sign she feels safe and protected with me. It's like lions or bears - they sleep for upto 15hrs a day. Being top of the food chain has many perks, including the fact you don't feel threatened and therefore get to spend a whole heap of time sleeping. I hope Emily feels safe.
Sigmund Freud couldn't think of any need in childhood as strong as the need for a father's protection. It's remarkable how that primeval urge to protect your family appears after the birth of a child. I certainly have felt that way since T became pregnant.
I also see our dad-daughter time as an early opportunity to get Emily a head start in her education. Sleep-learning is a great way to do this as it combines my ability to read with her ability to sleep - a winning combination. With that in mind we've already covered off some Oscar Wilde, and have now moved further afield to Ben Okri. I feel its important to give breadth to her literary education.
Emily revising for her English higher
Another important rite of passage for the dad-daughter relationship is the registering of the birth. Today was that special day. I felt very proud as we drove (I am still driving very safely) to see the nice lady registrar in Bearsden. When she asked the question who would like to register the birth I was very glad when T said I could. My heart swelled with pride as Emily Yasmin Rooke was officially named, no longer a nonperson she now was legally here. Emily on the other hand slept through the whole thing...


HI Nigel and T. Wonderful information for those so far away. Congratulations on your bundle. I am certain, given the parenting already displayed, she will grow into a productive and happy citizen, despite living in Glasgow (plug for you T!). Good luck as the next few weeks evolve. Sounds like you have a good handle on this so far. Lots of love!
ReplyDeleteSheri and Steve.
I enjoyed reading all about you guys whilst showing Michael the lovely pictures. (he loves looking at photos) probably as I've taken so many of him. I love Emilys middle name. Love to you all from the Doherty"s.xxx
ReplyDeleteHey Nigel, think the blog is lovely. I have to say Emily is a very lucky girl to have a Dad like you. When you are settled and I am back in the UK will definitely come up and see you. Take care, all my love, April
ReplyDeleteHey April....missing you lovely. Welcome up here anytime - just book those tickets. When you next back?
DeleteN x