I’m retiring. There, I’ve said it.
Although I’m not sure the above definition quite fits. I don’t think I’m retiring because of advanced age, pensionable age, or ill health. I’m retiring because I want to spend more of my time doing the things that matter most to me.
“But you’re too young,” they say.
Well, that’s kind of the point. And besides, I don’t stop being young just because I stop working full time.
“What will you do with yourself?” they say.
Really? Do I need to answer that?
I want to spend more time with my kids while they still want to spend time with me. Not just the squeezed-in bits around work, school, emails, meetings, tiredness and weekends that vanish too quickly.
I want to run and cycle more. I want to walk the dog, tend the garden, write, think, read, and have a bit more space in my head. I want to do more in the community, give back where I can, and be a bit more creative. I want some adventures, of course, but mostly I want a fairly simple life built around the things and people I love.
I know I’m fortunate to be able to make this choice. It has taken planning, support, a bit of luck, and a lot of years of working hard. I also know not everyone would want this. Some people love their work, some people need to keep working, and some people find meaning and identity in their job. I understand all of that.
But for me, this feels right. This isn’t about doing nothing. It’s about choosing what I do with the time that is given to me. It’s about living a flourishing life - one with more family, more health, more presence, more usefulness, more fresh air, and perhaps a little less rushing.
“Wow. I’m really happy for you. That’s amazing,” they say.
Now that’s more like it. Because if you are lucky enough to have a choice, and if the life you want is calling quite loudly, then maybe the brave thing is to listen.
So there you go. June 26th, I finish. A whole summer with the kids awaits and I'm excited to explore it with them.

I wish you all the best in your life Sir! You're retiring not because you are tired.
ReplyDeleteI wish you all the very best in your life as you make this choice.Im sure you are retiring not because you are tired.
ReplyDeleteLots of love
Yazid & Family.
Thanks Yazid 👍
DeleteAmazing Nige🙌, well done you, Jonny and I are in the same headspace - may be another couple of years or so but I couldnt agree more with where you are. Enjoy fella, much deserved xx
DeleteThank you. No excuse not to visit London properly now 🤣
DeleteYou obviously heard Steve has retired! Hi for it cousin x
ReplyDeleteGo not Hi 🙄
Delete😊 I hadn't heard! Congrats to Steve!
DeleteOnwards and upwards - things only get better from now
ReplyDeleteWell done you for making this choice that is right for you and your family- and for the work it took to make it possible.
ReplyDeleteAs always, you worded your message eloquently!
We wish you all the very best in this new chapter (you guys are good at those!).
Michelle
Go n'eirí leat Nigel
ReplyDelete