Monday, 2 February 2026

How to survive winter...

When I was young I don't ever remember finding winter long and hard. I just kinda accepted it like everything else around - I was all in the now, engrossed in what was going on that minute. These days I find winter somewhat more challenging mentally. Two parts are particularly hard - the change in October, as the last vestige of summer disappears and the dark nights draw in; and the long drag of January and February, with its dark, cold and wet. It's hard till the days start visibly lightening, and the sun, when you see it, has genuine warmth, and the snowdrops and then crocuses start to bring a touch colour and rebirth to the world.

My survival plan in recent years has been the same. October's end brings Halloween, our wood burning stove, and a cosyness in the crunching sound of the leaves and the smell of smoke in the air. A small lull in November then my focus turns to Christmas and New Year which generally occupies me through to early January.

The latter part of winter though is more challenging. But I think I've now sorted a great formula to get me through the dark days till the sun returns once more. First, book a skiing holiday. Last week saw me in Les Carroz with two great friends - full of fresh alpine air, big exercise and speed in the mountains, great company, great merry making, and beyond everything, some blue sky and sunshine. It really is just so good for the mind, body and soul. This year's trip was epic on all levels - I skied way more and partied way more than ever before - coming back worn out in a really good way. Emily has also now got the skiing bug. Her school ski trip to Alpe d'Huez earlier in January was a roaring success which I am delighted about. Two ski trips next year? You never know your luck...

And then after skiing Glasgow comes to my aid. Every year late January to early February the Celtic Connections festival brings the city to life in a warming musical way which breathes life into my soul at the end of winter. It's a wonderful fusion of Celtic and other music from around the world, with an atmosphere that just fills you with life. So, if you're ever in town during that time - book in a few gigs. I guarantee you a smile on your face.

So the final piece of surviving winter? Celebration season. Niomi, Tanya and Ly have birthdays, we celebrate Methana Day when we arrived in this house, our wedding anniversary, valentines day. And then boom. Winter is gone..... Nearly there now.

Emzo and ski friends

Dadzo and ski friends

Videoclip courtesy of Gordy: Les Carroz...
Or you can watch the video here

Videoclip: Celtic Connections...
Or you can watch the video here

Birthday girl using half her presents all at once

The Three Belles

A skunk experience??

Dog cake made by Emzo


No comments:

Post a Comment