I'd trained well so physically I knew I'd be ok but my nerves were getting the better of me and I had zero sleep the night before. It was an early start, up at 4.45am despite staying just a few hundred yards from the start/finish. A nervy breakfast, kit on, and away to the start line for 6am. It was a harsh day - the temperature felt like 1°, rain was forecast and there was a strong NNE wind gusting up 30mph. This didn't do much for my nerves but it was too late and very soon we were off.
It took me about 15miles to find my stride but I was soon enjoying some hazy views above Loch Ness in and amongst the other 6,000 riders. It was a great atmosphere and I soon forgot all about the weather and just settled into pedalling to Fort Augustus before the big climb. I made not bad time and turned back into the wind and began the ascent. It was pretty brutal but just over 44 minutes later I heard the piper playing at the top and I was there. And from then on I was flying. A big descent and then a long rolling section around the loch and Inverness was in my sight. Upping the pace I arrived in Inverness, high on adrenaline and feeling tip top. 4hr 46mins (which included 11minutes of pie eating), putting me almost in the top third. I was pretty chuffed considering it was the furthest I'd ever cycled, and all done before lunch on a Sunday. Quick shower and change and then out for a few beers and food. I slept well that night!! Would I do it again....well yes, just maybe I might...
The Loch Ness Five
At the top of the King of the Mountain
Pedalling for Inverness
Finish!
A wonderful welcome back home!







No comments:
Post a Comment