Saturday, 11 February 2023

Birthday treats…

Wow, its been another whirlwind few weeks. I feel like my feet barely touched the ground in January and into February. First up was skiing in Chamonix with friends Colin, Gordon and Richard. And in a word - AWESOME! I’d forgotten how good it is to move through the mountains on skis, and just how good it is for you to be out in the fresh air and experience so much light in the darkest time of year. I left home feeling a bit meh from early January and returned home feeling truly on top of the world. A week of light, exercise, fresh air and the odd bit of partying and I was back in the game. Thanks to all the guys for making it a brilliant trip!

And then back down to earth and right into training for the Loch Ness Etape – a 100k cycle race around Loch Ness in April. And to get me in the groove I managed the Crow Road/Tak Ma Doon loop from Kirkintilloch. I’ve been meaning to do it ever since I moved here 8 years ago but always been slightly daunted. 50k and 700m of ascent later it was conquered on a beautiful January morning. Relieved and tired I slept well that night.

Next day was Niomi’s 8th birthday party – a crafting extravaganza making hobby horses. I think everyone really enjoyed it and it felt a really special affair for her. Her actual birthday was not till the 1st Feb and unfortunately I missed that so I’m really glad that the party was so grand. But bless her she postponed her birthday meal out till I returned! And as for her cake, well in true Niomi style she had a ‘Dirt Cake’ with worms and everything….Love it.

So where was I? Well unfortunately my Dad got rushed into hospital for an operation. Hopefully recovering now but a tornado end to a whirlwind few weeks. I did however get to go for a Balti back in Brum with my old friend Keith, although I could barely walk afterwards I was so full.

On top of the world

Me!

Skiing towards the Chamonix valley

A touch of apres ski

The skiing crew

The Birthday Girl

The Birthday Crew

Videoclip: Happy 8th Birthday Niomi

Or you can watch the videoclip here

Post-op, aged 93 and not looking too bad!!


No comments:

Post a Comment