Wednesday, 13 July 2016

I spy with my little eye...

No-one told me that endless games of "I Spy" were an essential part of life on the road. Nor did they tell me that there are so may things that can be coloured blue (we play colours I Spy not letters with the supreme being). Nor did they tell me how long a supreme being's runny nose can last for and how many times a day that same supreme being can say "my nose Daddy".

Life on the road's not all rock 'n' roll you know.

Largin' it camper van stylee

So after game of I Spy numbered 1,027 and nose blow 1,454 - I thought it time to update our road trip adventures in France. 

Obviously, French cuisine, beaches, cycling, swimming pools, and a whole host of other things isn't as exciting as I Spy but we pressed on round the Ile de Re regardless, and encamped ourselves in a fantastic site complete with tropical pool. Ile de Re is one of many French hotspots for oysters, clams, mussels and other seafood delights on France's Atlantic coast. Joined to La Rochelle by a large bridge it is a cycling haven with picturesque old towns, as all the houses are painted white with green shutters. It gives it a real Mediterranean feel. 

And so we explored the old towns by bike, finding our way round by means of I Spy instead of a map, and nose blowing pit-stops instead of drinks in cafes. All seemed to work fine as we had a marvellous time, enjoying the food, culture and genuine joie de vivre of this laid back Ile.

La Flotte - typical port on Ile de Re

Soaking up the old town's atmosphere

 And then soaking up the sun on the beach

Oh so French! (Part I)

Oh so French! (Part II)

The first 6 of many oysters that Daddy ate

Quelle surprise!

Local salt production

View over the island from Le Phare des Baleines (lighthouse)

And then from one French isle to another, as the never ending game of I Spy led us from Ile de Re to Ile de Noirmoutier where the lovely French ladies were out in force for the final stages of the European Cup.

Ooh la la...a pair of French lovelies...

And we continued our road adventures with a wonderful campsite on the beach, more seafood and trips out to local produce and bric a brac markets, butterfly land, a voyage on the islands little train, horse rides both real and merry-go-round, and of course joining in the atmosphere as France progressed to the final of Euro 2016.

An evening stroll 50yds from DDU

Even Mummy joined in on the oyster action

Pack horse Daddy with beach essentials

Horse riding (Part I)

Horse riding (Part II)

Daddy joining in the petanque action

A myriad of butterflies in the Ile de Papillon

Looking over Noirmoutier

But all good things must come to an end, and the road beckoned once more as we headed off from the French isles with a few final games of I Spy and a good nasal blast. One more stop till home - but this road trip was already feeling magnificent :-).

 Night night to Re and Noirmoutier


No comments:

Post a Comment