Monday, 2 February 2015

Snow-trepidation...

"Snow provokes responses that reach right back to childhood."
(Andy Goldsworthy)

Or at least that's how I imagined it would be. Emily's first snow since being a baby...exhilaration, playfulness and fun. Supreme wonderment from the supreme being. Again, at least that's how I imagined it would be.

For at least the hundredth time...note to self...nothing is ever straight forward bringing up children.

We were away for the weekend with a whole heap of adults and their progeny. Feverish anticipation was in the air as we arrived on the Friday night. There was snow on the ground, sledges were going spare and there was a whole weekend to enjoy it. All the ingredients required for an experience to remember.

 Picture postcard Pitlochry

It started so well

But that was maybe where the problem started. Too little sleep, a grotty cold and a world full of stuff that's actually quite cold and wet, seemed to introduce the concept of snow-trepidation into our lives. I was all set to revert to my childhood memories of sledging and snowballing. Emily had different ideas. She was more than happy to play indoors and look at the snow from a distance. But venturing out seemed to induce over-tired tears, sleep or minor discontent at the wrong snow for snowman building. Not quite what I planned but we did manage to get her on a sledge for at least a little bit. She almost seemed to enjoy it...almost.

Videoclip: First sledge before Mummy took over 

So for the weeks after we have been trying to foster better snow vs supreme being relations with mixed success. There's been moments of delight and some definite leanings towards pure snow-heaven, but I have to admit it's been patchy. Maybe another year will solve that and we just won't be able to get her out the stuff. At least I hope so...I am always one for re-living my childhood.

A smile in the snow



No comments:

Post a Comment